Sunday, August 21, 2022

STARS: How To Start If You Want to Become An Author

It's hard to believe I have been a published author for 4 and a half years now.  It's been a dream and a bucket list item for me.  

Many have asked how did I get started and publish this book.  I will tell my story and give pointers for those willing to do what is necessary to make this happen. 

I needed to pick a platform that catered to independent, first time authors. I chose Lulu because I watched the late Peggy McDaniel Lutz have success with them. CreateSpace with Amazon is also a good one to use. Both have tools once your content is complete to design the size, page count, overall layout and even cover. 

I spent six months with a rigid one chapter per week (sometimes 2) schedule to construct my content. I then submitted my content for initial approval. I made necessary editorial changes which between that, marketing, headshot; procuring my cover (I contracted an independent artist/friend for that), it was another 6 months before the book was ready to publish. 

I also looked at the prices on Lulu and saw which packages fit my budget the best. Understand that with the first book, many are not going to break even. I used some monies I gained from a 3rd party source to fund my book expenses. I would say prepare to spend $1,000-$2,500 for your first book. This also includes distributing your book for sale to Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other such bookstores. 

I then completed all that was needed for the book and ordered 200 copies based off of pre ordered primarily and for book launches.  I ordered another 200 once those were gone. 

I'm proud to say that overall to date the book has grossed over 300 copies in sales with folks still wanting to order online or purchase a copy for me. Therefore if being an author is a passion of yours, just know it takes work and dedication but it's doable. You have to want it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment