Sunday, February 6, 2022

STARS: My Turnaround in high school grades and rank

I always wanted to attend college but like many families, I couldn't afford it without financial assistance. I would definitely need scholarships.

My grades were good but not great in 9th and 10th grade. I was ranked around 15th in my class and struggled in math and science classes. 

I attended Upward Bound the summer before my junior year. I got the motivation and outlet I needed for high school and beyond. I had study skills class, SAT prep, and classes involving all of my subjects I would be taking in the school year. 

This continued during the school year as I went once/month for continued assistance and review on my coursework from current teachers, college professors and other students. 

I then studied properly and my grades went from the occasional A or two, Bs and the occasional C or two to straight As my final two years of high school. My class ranking shot to 6th, I was inducted into the National Beta Club, graduated with honors, and earned almost enough scholarships and financial aid to fund my 4 and a half years of college at a fine university (Winthrop University, go Eagles!). 

This is encouragement for high school seniors trying to finish strong and all underclassmen trying to make it happen. You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment