Wednesday, November 23, 2022

STARS: How I Have Survived Working 3rd Shift

I have a lot to be thankful for. One is actually returning to 3rd shift. I am in the middle of that transition as I write this. 

I have been on 3rd shift 4 times in my life and am a night owl. However making the transition from working a day shift is a challenge. 

I have dark curtains in my room and I notify my close friends, family and neighbors of my change. You may be suprised who tries to randomly call or visit the moment you begin working nights. 

I keep plenty of caffeine, specifically Con Cafe coffee. Shane is not only a coffee genius; he's also a night owl. It's as if he combined those two to roast blends that work perfectly for a night shifter. 

I have exercised early in the evenings to keep my heart rate going. It does work. 

I eat but I do my best to refrain from heavy carbs or bread. That will drag your system and put you to sleep fairly fast. 

I also maintain the same/similar schedule on my off nights. That's the biggest challenge. 

Doing this has helped at four different jobs and positions and my circadian rhythm transitions smoothly from 2-4 weeks. Allow me to add to SLEEP! Some have to be up a while; others sleep as soon as they get home. One must sleep though.

No comments:

Post a Comment