Monday, June 13, 2022

STARS: How I Learned How To Swim

I have been blogging for 12 years. By now you all know how country I am if you don't know anything else. 

Growing up we didn't have a pool nor knew really anyone that did and there weren't any waterparks close so we went to the local creek mostly.  It was peaceful, fun and deep. 

I had to learn to swim if I not only wanted to live but but be able to have fun. Also, my mom didn't pay for any fancy swimming lessons and I still learned at the age of 7. 

I went to the creek at least 3-4 times per week during the summer months. My mom would try and go early or even late on a weekday to avoid crowds. I started in shallow waters and worked my way to the deeper areas. I would simply stroke left, then stroke right with my arms and keep moving my legs in an up and down formation. I advise regardless of your method or teacher to not stop moving those legs. They are your lifeline. I also had goggles and a life vest. 

I got really good over the years and did not lose this skillset, even as I traveled to rivers, oceans and pools.  I l started learning how to swim more smoothly by not splashing so much and being more fluid.  I am now 43, soon to be 44 and can still swim well. 

I realize everyone learns differently but my method was very informal, cost effective and it mostly involved good form and reps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment