Tuesday, April 26, 2022

STARS: On The Way Back: Part 3

Part 2 ended with much optimism: steady pay at RA, finally in grad school for my MBA and simply feeling good. 

However, life always has other plans. 

I did earn my MBA in May 2009. However a recession began and I had zero to no job prospects in the accounting, finance or management world. Also, RA reduced my hours from 40 to 36 to 32, dropping my overall pay by $100/week on some weeks. 

I had just bought my Cobalt and was struggling to keep that. I had to take out two separate loans, one on my 401K, to keep ends met. I then decided in 2011 after over 2 years of struggling financially, I was ready for to really leave RA. I left the Cut Floor after 6 years and went to the Sample Book Fabrication department (SBF). I didn't loose much money due to how the incentive program had shifted against me and I felt a lot better internally. 

I then realized in 2012 after one too many altercations with my manager, who had also been my Cut Floor manager that it was time for me to once again think outside of the box. I would have to go to another plant or the like that would pay more, even if it meant longer hours and even weekend work. I could no longer take lower wages and a toxic work environment. I also looked at side hustles, especially with my writing, to make ends meet. 

I connected with many former managers and colleagues like never before. I was determined to get to a point of financial and personal happiness. 

I reached the personal happiness first as I transferred departments to the Sample Distribution department that I worked briefly with as a temp in 2003. That's more for Part 4 but either way it would be a healthier spot to stay in while I found more gainful employment elsewhere. I also got to work for 2 of the best managers I had ever had. This healing and motivation still drives me to this very day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment