Monday, January 27, 2020

STARS: Reacting to a tragic situation

It is true that everyone grieves differently and handles tragedies in various ways. This is all well and good but you don't want it to resort to bad habits such as drinking or gluttony.  Here's how I handle these types of times, such as Challenger, 9/11 or a tragic loss, like that of my brother or a worldly loss such as losing Kobe Bryant earlier. 

I mediate and pray for a moment, and then I spend a short time talking with people that are experiencing and processing this loss.  This can be just a few hours. 

I then proceed to remove myself from the situation and occupy my mind. This can be from going to an outlet such as the coffee shop, the gym or the lab to write. I also use this time to clean and purge cluttered areas of my house and car. I also engage in weather appropriate activities such as swimming and yard care. I have found through at least 10 such events that my mind is clearer and ready to go. 

I have also tried burying myself in my work and achieving a goal.  This has had adverse effects on me so I have concluded that simple planning and goal setting is best for about a week or two. Many remember how during 9/11, everything seemed to pause for about a week or two. The timetable is not reverent but there must be adequate healing and recovery time. 

I have been able to come out of these situations stronger and more competent to handle life and its challenges. I have even been able to counsel and help others in this regard.  Often all people need is a listening ear. I have been this listening ear for all of last decade and I plan to be each decade that I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment