Sunday, June 23, 2019

STARS: How to beat a con or a grift

The latest word in Gaffney is that of one Nigia Dawkins. He has scammed and grifted many in the city, myself included.  He got a ride home and a McDonald's meal out of me once. 

He has gotten way more from others using certain lines, scripts, and even a connection with recently deceased rapper Nipsey Hussle. He also started a clothing line and ripped people off this way. 

The saddest part is not how long he has been getting over on folks. It's that there are many, many other Nigias that need to be brought to justice.  

I analyze a person's past behavior, if I know of them first. Also, if someone is saying they are raising money for a charity or organization, I am wanting to know which one so I can research it. 

Another thing I see if there are certain things they say or how they approach  me. Chain messages are definitely a red flag. Additionally, saying they need me to call or meet them ASAP. 

Also, this is how Nigia got me. He said he wanted to stop in McDonald's so we went to the drive thru. He claimed not to have any cash and asked if I would pay.  The trap was set. If you are in this situation, always go into the restaurant or pick a restaurant that allows you to go inside (no drive through types like a Sonic). It also goes without saying it is best to do this before nightfall when more places are open. 

If you know this is an habitual con artist, document every occurrence and get the finest details, down to the time of day. I then contact law enforcement and have him brought to justice.  

Finally, I keep my script and system for any future grifters.  I do have a big heart and I give to the less fortunate. However, always be aware of whom or what you are giving to. And if you travel alone at night, do not give them a ride if you do not know them. Offer to call an Uber or a Lyft. 

Also, cash is a no go to certain people and if it's a business, ask for retail licenses, credentials and such. Since I am a small time retailer, I know what all they are supposed to have. If they stammer and beat around the bush, you beat it. 

We need to have a plan in place to make an example of those who think they can get over like Nigia has did for years. A free meal is one thing. A month's salary (yes he has did this) is a different ballgame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment