Tuesday, March 26, 2024

STARS: How I Have Navigated The Car Buying Process

I am taking some time off from the Life And Times Of Debbie Lanier series to refocus on the STAR series as I am eyeing another promotion at work. My mom was always understanding and encouraging when I reached for the stars. 

I have purchased 5 automobiles in my life before this past week, 4 from dealerships. I have learned the process well and how to procure a reliable vehicle within budget. 

I research first from company and local dealership deals. I make a scorecard of what features, price, and even how much down I can apply, including an existing automobile. I come prepared to go to up to 4 dealerships and research in a fashion so my credit doesn't drop out of the 700s. I also ensure I don't have any outstanding debt I could pay off or consolidate. 

I then go to the dealership with the mindset of purchasing and taking home the car that day if not the following day. This time I set a goal of at least 3,000 down and monthly payments in the 300s/low 400s for a brand new or a good used vehicle with the other features I wanted. Having my current car paid for is a bonus even I cannot get much or anything within a trade. 

I am still working with the final numbers pending refinancing with my credit union (something I highly recommend) but I was able to get my vehicle for $455/month with insurance remaining the same, no oil change nor routine maintenance for 7,500 miles and getting all that I needed and most of what I wanted out of a brand new car. I expect this car to last at least the 84 months I financed it for unless I decide on a trade before the limited warranties expire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment