Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Debbie Lanier's Life and Tales- Part 2: DEFENSE

I write this second installment of my mom's life as the NFL schedule was recently released and fans are making their plans to attend, tailgate, etc. 

My mom did many things well. One thing that was noted in the town of Blacksburg was how she always defended the underdog: her brother, kids, relatives, nieces and nephews, etc. If Debbie Lanier was in your corner, you had little to worry about. 

Debbie literally had zero fear when it came to defending someone, especially against bullies. Anti-bullying is a part of #imjustdrew and people knew my mom from that alone. She maintained a house, job, lifestyle, etc well while seemingly staying up at the schools off and on for two decades on defending myself and other kids. She would dare a school official to call the police. Debbie knew how to handle a bully: in public. She would call them out after practices, games, at the grocery store. Mom would even chaperone field trips and even show up to Field Day to fuss at kids. She was ahead of her time and knew all the ways to get around talking to a bully without going to jail. And other parents? Yeah bring them on, especially if she went to school with them. Some parents that knew Debbie Lanier were proactive and would tell their kids to not ever mess with me and even defend me if possible. 

Debbie had that lasting effect everywhere: the schools, restaurants, jobs, doctors, hospitals, etc. She truly fought for what she believed in and it brought out the introvert in her. If you wanted to get Debbie Lanier out of her home, tell her someone was bullying one of her kids or a relative. 

I'm thankful and leery at the same time that I now have a 24/7 bodyguard now. I know she's not going to let anything happen to me aside from free will and that gives me lifetime peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment