Tuesday, March 8, 2022

STARS: Surviving High Gas Prices

I'm not flattered to say I have experienced these types of problems twice before I turn 44. It does give me field experience regarding how I have survived and thrived through many unprecedented times. 

I have learned to budget for gas higher than $3/gallon. It's now $4/gallon in my area and could increase to $5 soon. I consistently fill up at the halfway point. I have made sure I purchased gas efficient vehicles. If you can get a vehicle with an eco option, do it! It's a long term gas saver. 

I also enroll in every gas saving program I can: GasBuddy and Ingles Rewards are two of the ones that stay in my rotation. I was in Bi-Lo's program prior to them folding. I try to do my errands in one trip or while I am out on my work commute. I try to travel smarter and more strategically. 

I filled up at the pump just yesterday as gas hit the $4 mark and got $32.26. I am carving out a weekly budget of $85, $250/month. Therefore, I have already pre-planned for that. 

There are no two ways around this: it sucks. Many of us have to drive and thus have to get gas. Therefore you may as well save up, enroll in saver programs and be strategic. This too shall pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment