School's almost back in session, football is backb more rain and hot weather but we don't stop at The Deck. It's just damp is all.
June Fair murder
Shealys BBQ review and better spots
Gnat removal
WU in more trouble?
I do hate to see small businesses suffer. Summer is already the toughest due to folks being out of town for vacation. Boston Annie's has went from rough kitchen repairs that the city of Gaffney doesn't support. She went from trying to raise money to get a food truck to getting ready to go home to Boston. She and her awesome food will be missed (I never got to take unk there, I'm sure he would have loved the stews). Zakary's coffee shop is going through similar. Low support, Duke Power (how are they still around?) not responding to maintenance requests but charging them as much as they do the nearby multimillion dollar hospital for utilities. I don't frequent Zakarys: however I do realize them and Boston Annie's were not only hallmarks of downtown Gaffney for a period, they were fueled by the Limestone College community. This is another ripple effect of Limestone College closing. I do pray for Annie in her next journey back home and that Zakarys can find a way to turn it around.
This murder of young June Fair in Gaffney has hit me and the community really hard and close (nevermind he's a distant cousin of mine and I've come to know his mom and those over the years). First is of course the gun violence deal. 2nd is that kids do not fight anymore. What Pops from Friday said is becoming more and more true. 3. Some people around the county and state are so evil, racist and sad. Either way, a young man is gone, two more are headed to prison. I do love the action being taken in the moment to take care of both the funeral expenses and his unborn son. I also like that community members aren't giving up on resources and support to mitigate this violence from continuing. We have to start somewhere.
I have heard for weeks (especially after I had Marilyn Martin on the podcast) about Shealys BBQ. I wanted to go the week I was off and try them but it was right after the 4th of July and they always close for two weeks afterwards. I decided to try them this past Thursday, made the trip through secondary roads and the Midlands region of South Carolina. I did like a lot of the esthetic: a sink and towel to wash your hands upon entry, affordable buffet, ample parking and communal big tables. They had a nice salad bar, soft serve ice cream and dessert bar. However their regular food was underwhelming. Most of the stuff was cafeteria style, not homemade tasting nor smelling. That had to be the worse looking and tasting mac n cheese I've had. The hash looked runny and gross. The BBQ (all 3 kinds) did not taste smoked and had too much vinegar. It was like Wades: overhyped due to reputation and location. I do not like when places like this (Harolds, Beacon, etc) do not live up to the hype. The chicken was good and the staff was kind and courteous though. I know many other BBQ/country cooking places I would recommend before Shealys. It is my opinion but I also feel like I know what good should look and taste like.
I've dealt with many issues in this 33 year old home, currently on the end of my home improvement upgrades. The current challenge is getting rid of these gnats. I have cleaned house (will do more tonight), followed recommendations online. They appear to be coming from my bathroom, likely from all of these storms. I also have a toilet in the other bathroom that will not flush. Ahh the challenges of home ownership and with an older home.
It appears at Winthrop University (the WU) there is financial difficulties. These are to the tune of $100,000 from normal projected donations. Many minority alums are not happy about what's been happening and are refusing to donate (myself included). It's truly sad, I love my school and my time there. However the board needs to get this together and show us minorities they care and they do stand for diversity.
Until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment