Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Debbie Lanier's Life and Times: Part 12: Seven On Your Side

Many of you know my mom was old fashioned and set in her ways on some aspects. Despite having a smartphone and high speed internet, she still watched the news and weather on TV several times/day. Her channel of choice was WSPA Seven On Your Side out of Spartanburg, SC. We had watched it as a family for decades and some of the cast were lifers. You aren't tuning it to just any news station, it was like spending time with family.

You knew their names, personalities, families, etc (The Amy Wood controversy is still up in the air) but that was her station. From June to just the other day, DIRECTV and CBS had a conflict dispute and the channel didn't air for months. There are other avenues but definitely another void for me. It would have been a huge void for my mom. I remember how in 2019 I had to go out and get an antenna box, ensure she had the app, etc. 

I saw in a grief group last week that doing things that your loved one loved was like spending the day with her. Watching Seven on your Side this weekend and seeing the familiar faces deliver the news, weather and sports was like spending time with my mom again. That's something I really needed and she knew that from above also. 

Debbie definitely had her ways but she knew what she liked and never settled. I'm glad we could share that part and ease my pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment